Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Friends We Keep




Once you are in your thirties you realize that a few true friends are better than the twenty you used to have. I think it's important that women have a close group of girlfriends.I have an amazing group of girlfriends! Most of my girlfriends, I met when I was in my twenties. Your twenties are usually your unstable years. When you're partying, making up, breaking up and trying to figure out your life. If your friends can see you at this stage of your life and still stick around after, they are keepers! 


All of my girlfriends have this in common, they are loyal and have a genuine interest in my life. I feel that is a must when it comes to friendship. Often we surround ourselves with friends who are too caught up in their own life to take notice of ours. Friendship should be 50/50. It takes work just like any relationship. But in the end you want to feel they are just as invested in your life as you are in theirs. As women, I think it's important to have a well rounded group of girlfriends. I mean if all of your friends were alike, that would be pretty boring right?


One of my girlfriends is a few years younger than me. We are complete opposites in most aspects. She is bold, has never met a stranger and loves the outdoors. I'm more shy and quiet at first and not very outdoorsy unless it involves drinking on a patio. But we get each other on a level of passion for life. We both have recently moved to new states in efforts to chase our dreams. It's nice to share those experiences with a friend who understands it first hand. 


One my girlfriends that I have known the longest, I met at my first medical office job. She is soft spoken, smart, a great mother and can fix almost anything. Seriously, she can put most men to shame. She has taught me a lot about medical and we both connected over our passion for working in the medical field. We have leaned on each other through heartbreaks and been there to help pick up the pieces afterward. She has been my wing woman at the bars when we were both single and on the prowl. We have had some great times and share stories only we can tell. 


Another one of my girlfriends is my ride or die friend. Every girl needs one. That friend that never judges you or your mistakes. She is kind, funny, outspoken and doesn't let many people into her life easily. I consider myself lucky to be called her friend. She helped me to work through my past relationship with my ex and has always been a great sounding board. She is always honest when giving advice and that is what I love most about her. We have seen each other go through some difficult times in our lives. And we have celebrated many of life's happy moments like her newly born daughter. She is so worthy of becoming a mother. She reminds me that life is full of unknowns but you still have to ride it out. 


My best friend I saved for last. She is the most selfless person I have ever met. She is thoughtful, funny, kindhearted and will surprise you with her karaoke skills to 80's and 90's music. She will sing Salt -N- Pepa's "PUSH IT" like nobody's business. We could do nothing but sit in her living room and drink wine all night and be perfectly content. She and I like to do simple things like go to festivals, eat cheap mexican food, drink margaritas and craft things. Although she is now a busy Mom, she always makes time for our friendship. We just get each other and never have to apologize for what we say or think. She is like a sister to me. Friends who become family are the best types of friends. I can see us both sitting on a porch well into our 50's sipping wine. 


Life is too short not to be surrounded by great friends. I cannot imagine my life without my girlfriends. I am nothing without them by my side. 



XO, Rae

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I have always said that a few best friends that would move mountains for you are better then a lot of ones that don't truly care for your best interest. I just had this talk with a someone that works at the good old ENT. You have to be careful who you allow that close to you. It is a sacred place that only a few should have the privilege of knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole :)
    I could not agree more! Friendship is something to be cherished.
    Thank you so much for following!

    ReplyDelete